Don't judge a Facebook page by it's cover...

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 |



A few short years ago everyone didn't have Facebook. Only the friends we called or emailed knew what was really happening on a daily basis. Only our close friends or the relatives at our family reunions saw all of the pictures from our family vacations, or of our children's birthday parties. Who would have ever even thought about taking a picture of our trip to the grocery store? But now we do. With this new "Facebook world" we feel compelled to put "it" all out there for everyone to see. Unfortunately, for most of us the way we're represented on Facebook is the way we're perceived these days.

I find myself sitting at the computer for minutes at a time trying to come up with a good status often to just erase it all and scrap the idea. What am I trying to say? Who am I trying to impress? What idea am I trying to convey? Who do I want to laugh at my funniness? Of course I don't want to constantly be a Debbie Downer type of person. I want my statuses to be positive even when I'm having a bad day. I wouldn't want anyone to know all that about me, right?

Knowing I'm not the only one who has this issue, why do I find myself comparing my life to the pictures and statuses of others? I'm sure these people had a wonderful time on their vacation, but was it any better than the time I had on mine? Did I just determine all that based on a beautiful picture of the Grand Canyon? Did that status I read just make me feel less blessed than they are? At times that has happened, but today as I read through Psalm 144 in my quiet time I decided that I'm wrong in that. My life is overflowing with blessings and happiness, and if the only snapshot I take of it is in my head then that's all I need. A Facebook status is so temporary, it changes day to day, and for some hour to hour, so why would I judge my life by someone else's information? I shouldn't. Our world is ever changing and social networking isn't going anywhere so it's important to keep our perspective on these things. For now, Happy Facebooking!

0 comments:

Newer Posts Older Posts Home